Why your involvement matters
The WA Department of Education’s Student Health in Public Schools procedures, Appendix B. Healthy Food and Drink is based on the following:
- Health Promoting Schools Framework.
- Australian Dietary Guidelines; Guide to Healthy Eating.
- Traffic Light System of categorising food and drink items as GREEN, AMBER or RED.
How can FreshSNAP help?
FreshSNAP can support you in the creation of a gold standard food and drink environment by:
- Providing FREE recipes that have already been assessed against the criteria.
- Assisting you in completing recipe and menu assessments against the criteria.
- Providing free Traffic Light Training. Simply contact us to arrange a session that suits you.
Let’s grow healthier school communities
Do you have an idea or need support?
Book a consultation with us
Once we understand your objectives and your school we can help you implement a custom Healthy School Program fit for purpose.
Discuss your needs with us
Implement your program
Ready for some healthy changes?Get Started
Ask us anything
Yes. The Healthy Food and Drink Policy has been incorporated into the Student Health in Public Schools Policy. You can access the requirements about healthy food and drink by accessing the Student Health in Public Schools procedures, Appendix B. Healthy Food and Drink.
There are now more food and drinks classified as GREEN. The freshSNAP team are here to guide and support you through the changes.
Canteen/food service menus must meet the following requirements:
- GREEN items – account for a minimum of 60% of the menu
- AMBER items – account for a maximum of 40% of the menu, with savoury commercial products that are AMBER items offered on a maximum of two days per week:
- Where an AMBER item has been reclassified as a RED item it may be included on the menu and included in your AMBER count. These items may only be offered on the same two days a week as AMBER’s savoury commercial products. You can learn more about these ‘selected RED items’ here
- This cannot be applied retrospectively. Once a RED item has been removed from a menu, it cannot be re-introduced.
- RED items are not on the menu (other than those included in your AMBER content as outlined above).
The Department of Health Western Australia has developed a new WA School Food and Drink Criteria to classify food and drinks provided in WA schools according to the traffic light system: GREEN (healthiest), AMBER, or RED (less healthy). The WA School Food and Drink Criteria underpins the Student Health in Public Schools procedures, Appendix B. Healthy Food and Drink.
Great news for menu planning: There are now more food and drinks classified as GREEN! Examples of items that are now GREEN include:
- Full fat dairy
- All canned vegetables, legumes and fish (there is no longer a need to be salt reduced to be GREEN)
- Cheese and cracker snack packs
- Plain popcorn
To learn more about which items are now GREEN, reach out the freshSNAP team to book an Introduction to the WA School Food and Drink Criteria Training Session. You can contact the freshSNAP team here.
The Department of Education Student Health in Public Schools procedures, Appendix B. Healthy Food and Drink permits the sale of ‘selected RED items’ in WA school canteens. These ‘selected RED items’ are included in the maximum 40% AMBER count and may only be offered on the same two days a week as AMBER savoury commercial products. Once a ‘selected RED item’ has been removed from a menu it cannot be re-introduced.
‘Selected RED items’ must meet the WA School Food and Drink Criteria to be sold in WA school canteens. If the criteria are not met, the item is classified as RED and cannot be on the menu.
The freshSNAP team are here to support WA schools, residential colleges and boarding houses to create healthy food and drink environments. FreshSNAP’s support services include product, recipe and menu assessments, one-on-one consultations, lesson plans and professional development sessions for teachers.
To find out how we can support your school, contact the freshSNAP team today:
Reach out here:
Call: (08) 6182 2260
FoodChecker is a one-of-a-kind digital tool which supports WA schools, residential colleges and boarding houses in creating healthy food and drink environments. The product search feature is available now and there will be more incredible features going live in 2024. This FREE online tools allows you to search for products and view their classification against the WA School Food and Drink Criteria.
Menu and recipe assessments will be available in 2024. In the meantime, to access menu and recipe assessments, simply contact the freshSNAP team.
Everything to help
shape a healthier school.
Follow us @freshsnapwa
Ready for some healthy changes?
Join us now.
Join Us at the Table and be a part of our community. Our newsletter is filled with nutrition led insights from across the world as well as new recipes and popular student lunchbox ideas.